2020 has been such a difficult year with so many people having been affected. It has included a rollercoaster of ups and downs to varying degrees. My family and friends have been such amazing support beams and the new followers and friends that I have gained this year have been a blessing. Here are 5 things that I have learned from 2020 that I plan to continue focusing on this year.
1. The importance of self care. The year 2020 really helped me realize how important it is for me to take care of myself. If I don't have the strength or energy to keep myself in good standing, how do I have the chance to help others if needed? Setting aside just a little bit of time each and every day to focus on myself is really powerful. Taking a relaxing bubble bath, reading for fun, meditating... I cannot begin to describe the joy that I feel having learned this to be able to keep my best foot forward.
2. The notion that it is ok to spend time alone. This pandemic has isolated a lot of people throughout the year 2020 and that has been so difficult. But sometimes the idea that we have to constantly be around other people forms in our heads and that can be detrimental. I had to relearn in 2020 that actively setting time aside to spend by myself is healthy and helps so much in the long run.
3. Removing toxic people from your life is beneficial and not a bad thing. I have learned to keep my boundaries strong and for those who cannot respect those boundaries, they have no place in my life. I want to surround myself with positivity and individuals who will support me and not tear me down.
4. A big concept that I learned in 2020 was being comfortable where I am and not trying to run races with others in a different place. I realized that everyone's story is different and I shouldn't be trying to compare my progress or hurdles to anyone else. Like an iceberg, what you see on the surface might not be all there is to the story. My goal for 2021 is to grow my network of people who can support and understand where I am now and where I want to be in the future.
5. All in all, a big goal for 2021 is to be kind. In the end of 2020, I was able to be a part of a lot of great things such as a toy drive and donating to an animal shelter. I want to continue being able to support and contribute to these great things. I want to spread kindness wherever I go in 2021.